7.5.13

Black Bean & Cheese Quesadillas




Over the weekend I put together a great Cinco de Mayo inspired snack.  My husband's cousin was coming to visit,  and I never have guest over without preparing a snack or dish and having wine or a cocktail ready to serve.  It's just what I do!  Being a lover of mexican food (I can eat it everyday), I quickly thought of making Black Bean & Cheese Quesadillas and fresh guacamole.  A quick run to Trader Joe's, we were all set!  

Groceries List:

avocados
tomatoes
onions
cilantro
garlic
salsa
greek yogurt
coconut oil
cans of organic black beans
pre-shredded mexican cheeses
whole-wheat tortilla chips
chile & onion flour tortilla (not the healthiest, but sooo darn good)

photo credit: harmony household


How-To:

-put a small spoonful of coconut oil in a pan
-cut a small onion in thin slices and chop garlic 
-add onion to the oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. 
-saute onion until almost caramelized, add garlic and toss around for another 5 min. 
-chop one small tomato and add to onion/garlic, saute for another 2 min.
-drain a can of organic black beans and add to pan with tomato, onion, and garlic
-toss a 1/2 teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes into the pan and stir for another minute
-remove black bean mixture from pan and set aside
-clean pan out or use another pan, add a little coconut oil to clean pan and add one tortilla
-sprinkle cheese evenly around tortilla, add black bean mixture, and a little more cheese on top and a pinch of cilantro.
-Place another tortilla on top of bean mixture and cook until cheese is fully melted and the tortillas are a little golden brown. Flip over to brown both sides. 
-remove from pan and cut into 4 triangles with a knife or pizza cutter 
-plate with a side of salsa, guacamole, and Greek yogurt (I use instead of sour cream)

YUMMO!




Never made a quesadilla in my life, I've been all about the tacos, but this recipe is definitely an Archie household favorite.  Next time,  I will make them with the brown rice tortillas instead of the calorie packed flour tortillas.  They were so simple to make and a hit with Marlin's cousin.  Score!  **Patting myself on the back!**




make them tonight...


 

3 comments:

  1. Girl, you've never made a quesadilla??? That was the first thing I ever made by myself as a youngin'. Recipe sounds great. Now I'm in the mood for one, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You are so wonderful to share such delicious and quick recipes that include the process step by step. The quesadilla was delicious and the presentation was so beautiful.

    Jennifer,Your blog is so special. I so appreciate your passion and constant search for quality and things that are beautiful to help us live our lives and dream bigger. I'm so proud of you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dish was just too good. Looking at it now, I'd love to have it again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...