31.1.12

Food Love: Kale & White Bean Ragout w/ Polenta

Second day of my cleanse and I'm blogging about food. What am I doing? Hmmm...I guess I might need a little eye candy to get me through it, but it has not been that bad. I have a new love for Cashew Milk with cinnamon. Yummy! Anyway, I wanted to share a tasty dish I made last week from my Cooking to Conceive cookbook. Another recipe with kale in it.  Yes, we love the kale in our home. This time we had it over a little Parmesan Polenta and I added some chicken italian sausage. Comfort food to the max! 

Oh! The beans I used were organic and in a box instead of a can by Fig Food Co. Only 10mg of sodium! Loving it and a new staple in The Archie household. Pay a little more, but so worth it. Check them out here, buy them at Whole Foods.

The Recipe...
Parmesan Polenta
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
1 cup (240 ml) stone-ground cornmeal (polenta)*
1/3 cup (80 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground pepper
Ragout
1 bunch (8 to 12 ounces or 227 to 336 grams) dinosaur kale*
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 can (28 ounces or 800 grams) whole peeled tomatoes*
2 cans (14.5 ounces or 425 grams each) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), not drained*
3/4 to 1 cup (178 to 240 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) smoked paprika
2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons (45 ml) chopped pitted kalamata olives
Pepper
1. To make the polenta: Bring 4 1/2 cups (1.1 liters) water and the salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the polenta, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until polenta is thick and no longer grainy, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese; add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm.
2. To make the ragout: Tear the kale leaves from the stems and tough center ribs. Rinse the leaves well and cut into 1/4-inch (6mm) ribbons (discard the ribs and stems).
3. heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. add the tomatoes, including the juices, using a fork to break up the tomatoes into small chunks. add the beans, including their liquid, 3/4 cup (178 ml) broth, and the kale, cumin, and paprika. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the kale is tender, about 15 minutes, adding more broth if the ragout begins to look dry. stir in the lemon juice and olives. add pepper to taste. spoon the polenta onto plates and top with ragout.


Live Well, Eat Well!





And I'm off and running... 
 J. P. Archie

2 comments:

  1. That looks De-lish! I am adding that to the menu for next week. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks De-lish! I am adding that to the menu for next week. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...