23.7.10

Designer Highlight-HEMMA

Happy Friday!!!!! 

I came across HEMMA in the Essence magazine a few months ago and was very inspired by them.  I love to see new African-American designers hit the scene.  It is something that does not happen often, so I like to support when it does.  

HEMMA is a very unique and fresh collection using hand-woven kente cloth imported from Ghana.  According to HEMMA, Kente represents social prestige, luxury, and cultural sophistication which the collection definitely represents.  Each garment is one of a kind and if you do not see anything you like on the HEMMA website, you can have a garment custom made just right for your personal style and fit.  I love that!!!!! 



Who is behind HEMMA?  

Cindy Gaston and Edna Gissoon are the owners and designers of HEMMA based in New York.  They partnered up after studying aboard in Ghana and became inspired by the African fashion and textiles they came across during their journey in West Africa especially Kente.   During their stay, they volunteered as teachers at a local middle school in Ghana and now every garment purchased 5% goes to that school.  









Here are some of my favorite pieces from their collection...






If you want to know more about HEMMA follow their blog here.


And I'm off and running...

J.P.Archie

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I love today's post and I love your blog! Go forth and conquer! Super proud of YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...