22.2.11

Light & Fresh: Huevos Rancheros

I am really excited to join Michelle of Pretty Mommy's Winter Blues recipe exchange. The theme of this exchange is Light, Fresh, and Colorful to get through Winter. Well, we have not had much of a winter here in L.A. The weather has been great besides a few rainy days. Must be nice, right? 


I love mexican food, so I decided to share a light and colorful dish that you can whip up very quickly and enjoy anytime of the year. Huevos Rancheros! I found this recipe on the Smitten Kitchen blog, and I've been hooked ever since. I cook this probably once a week for dinner, maybe even twice depending on if I want to be a lazy cook or not. The husband and I love it! Corn tortillas, black beans, eggs, salsa, and cheese are a staple in our household. 

Huevos Rancheros
photo by Smitten Kitchen


The recipe...
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Ingredients:

Corn Tortillas(6 in)
Shredded Cheese(I use pepper jack or mild cheddar)
Black Beans(I use canned organic black beans)
Eggs
Sea Salt, chili powder, and black pepper
Non-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream(I prefer the yogurt)
Cilantro(if you have)
Salsa

You can make a quick Salsa Fresca (recipe below)if you like or just use good salsa in a jar or bought fresh from the market. I use either depending on how I feel. 

Salsa Fresca
Photo by Smitten Kitchen

In a frying pan, spray or drizzle a little olive oil or any oil you prefer and place over medium heat. Place corn tortilla in the pan and brown a bit underneath. Then flip over and sprinkle a little less than a handful of shredded cheese on the browned side of the tortilla. Crack one egg on top of the melted cheese and season with salt, chili powder(my addition), and pepper (No worries if the egg runs off the tortilla). Let the white part of the egg cook.  

This is the fun part...flip the whole tortilla over(might be a bit messy). Cook it for a few minutes until egg is cooked just how you like it. Then flip it back over on to a plate and your done. Repeat a second time, so you will have two tasty tortillas. Top with black beans, salsa, yogurt/sour cream, and cilantro. Go here if you'd like to see step by step with photos. 


Salsa Fresca
Makes about 2 cups.
2 large fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 large white onion, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon minced raw garlic, or to taste
1 habanero or jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced, or to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper.
  1. Combine all ingredients, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
  2. Let the flavors marry for 15 minutes or so before serving, but serve within a couple of hours.

There you have it...simple, fresh, light, and tasty for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. 

Thank you to Michelle for the recipe exchange. Love it! 
Look forward to the next one. :)




And I'm off and running...

J.P. Archie    



8 comments:

  1. oh you know the way to my heart - Huevos Rancheros - YES!! Thanks for participating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look incredibly delicious! I love Mexican food- especially when it's light and healthy. In fact, this might be dinner for tonight. If so, I'll be back tomorrow to let you know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love huevos rancheros. And fresh salsa? Could eat it by the gallons...Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Michelle's comment!! Love Huevos Rancheros!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized I never came back to tell ya how delicious these turned out! My husband made this for dinner that night... Wonderful, and we'll definitely have them again- soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Torrie-that is great! I made it that night also. So tasty! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delish!!!!


    Lol, FedEx me some, one day mail delivery!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...